A car crash can be a life changing event. An otherwise healthy person can suddenly find they are unable to take care of themselves or take care of their family, all because of the negligence of others. The long road to recovery is only made more difficult by an insurance company that seeks to frustrate you at every turn. They know that you are hurt and know that you need money, so they delay hoping you will get desperate enough to accept a low settlement. A Detroit Michigan auto accident attorney can give you an ally in your corner, fighting for rights with the insurance company while you focus on the important job of getting healthy.
Car accidents can be life-altering. In Michigan, you are required to have no-fault insurance on your car. This means that after an accident, you turn to your own no-fault insurance first for payment of your economic losses which may include medical bills, wage loss, assistance with activities of daily living and medical mileage. In order to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the party at fault for the car accident, you need to have suffered a serious impairment of a body function. "Serious impairment of body function" means an objectively manifested impairment of an important body function that affects the injured person’s general ability to lead his or her normal life. There is an abundance of case law interpreting exactly what this means so make sure you retain an attorney that is skilled in this area. In addition, Michigan courts follow the doctrine of comparative fault. This means that what you can recover will be reduced by your percentage of fault, if any. However, in Michigan, if you are over 50% at fault, you will not be able to recover damages against the at-fault driver. Defendants and insurers often raise this issue, so you should retain an attorney who can make sure that your award is not unfairly reduced.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, someone in the United States is involved in a car accident every ten seconds. Automobile accident cases are the most common personal injury claims in our courts today. Michigan is considered a “no-fault” jurisdiction, meaning that you will be covered by your insurance company (subject to limitations) regardless of who caused the accident. Under law, you may be entitled to economic benefits known as First-Party Benefits or non-economic Third-Party benefits which include damages for pain and suffering.
People may worry than an attorney will cost too much money. However, a recent study has shown that injured parties who are represented by professional counsel receive substantially more monetary recoveries than those who attempt to represent themselves. Also, we never charge our personal injury clients a fee up front and in fact will receive nothing unless we collect. Therefore you have nothing to lose by contacting us in our suburban Detroit offices to discuss your case. If you cannot make it to our offices, we will come to you.
We can help you in your automobile accident case in several different ways:
- If your insurance company unjustifiably refuses to pay the damages you have claimed, we can help you sue for breach of contract.
- We can pursue uninsured and/or under-insured claims if you were hit by an uninsured vehicle or a vehicle that had insufficient coverage to compensate you for your injuries.
- If an accident causes death, serious impairment of a body function, or permanent serious disfigurement, we can assist you or your family in recovering compensation from the driver who caused the accident.
- If you have been injured or have lost a family member in an automobile accident, it is important for you to seek legal counsel immediately. We can help you through the claims process, and act as your representative to insurance companies to ensure that you receive what you are entitled to under the law. Our firm will investigate all avenues to make a determination of who was at fault in the accident and why you should receive compensation. We will gather all relevant documentation, interview witnesses and build the most effective case possible.
- If you have been injured in an accident, our office is here to help. We understand how frustrating dealing with the insurance company can be, we understand that you just want what’s fair, and we understand how serious injuries can turn a life upside down. Our firm works to get to know our clients and get a full understanding of how these injuries have changed your life. This allows us to tell your story to an adjuster or to a jury, helping us aggressively fight for what you deserve.
- Finally, we never charge a fee if there is no recovery.